Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Love Story

As you may have read I ride around many weirdos and addicts, not all bad not all crazy. I present "High as a Kite" a crackhead love story.

This couple had flagged me down but I had a customer in the back, so once I dropped the customer I went back to pick them up. The woman was making general conversation and asked me to go to the bank to pick up some money. She was so pretty and sweet, she told me that she gets a monthly disability check because she had a stroke, she said it was due to drugs, she was 32 at the time, she is now about 37.

I asked them where they were going and I took them, she said it was round trip. When the boyfriend got out I guess to procure the crack, I guess she thought I might be judging her. So she says "sometimes you can't get over things that happen in your life and you do things to cope." I told her I understood everyone has a vice, hell I eat to get through my troubles." She smiled and said "thank you for saying that". She said I was clean for two years, but he just got diagnosed with testicular cancer, so he started smoking and I fell off as well, I said is it fatal she said yea he is dying, his father and grandfather died from it too. She said "I was going to leave, but I am going to be there for him in the end, he has maybe a year she said".

As we waited she gave me a 20 bill. I told her that it was way too much and her trip would probably be like9 dollars and some change, she told me to keep it. She said I always take care of people and her mother told her should would be blessed because of it. He came back to the car and she said "I will be right back", they stepped out I assume to get high and got back in, Marvin Gaye's distant lover was playing on the radio, they asked me to turn it up as they laid on each others shoulders.

I saw him two months later and bought two watches from him for 5 dollars.

1 comment: